Portrait Site    |    Wedding Site    |    Facebook Page    |    Simply Wed Videography

Wednesday, April 8

A trip to Key West, our first time.

Is there a better place on earth? We had so much fun! Jay and I had wanted to go to Key West for a long time! We actually met at Sea World where we were Adventure Camp Interns one summer. We spent those grueling months as counselors for overnight camps around Sea World in Orlando and down to Pigeon Key to teach kids about marine life, a perfect summer job.  I wonder where I would be if not for that summer. Anyway, we finally made the trip to Key West after bidding on (and winning) a 3 night stay at Island City House in a silent auction at the YMCA.  Now that we've gone once, I know we'll be back soon.  The water, the plants, the weather, the art, the food, the people... I loved it all.  If you have been thinking of going down for the trip, it's way worth the extra drive down to the very last key.  It is unlike the other Keys and there is no place, at least in FL, that compares to it's tropical splendor.

On our drive down, we stopped in Key Largo for a snorkel trip at John Pennekamp State Park.  It started off cloudy but turned out to be a sunny day.  The water was freezing and luckily I brought my wet suit.  Jay rented one for the day and we stayed in the water every minute of the trip.
Photobucket

Once we got to Key West we checked into our hotel and then walked to Mallory Square to check out the sunset and street performers.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Parking is not easy where we were.  You have to find a spot in the street and when you do, it's best to leave your car there.  On our second day we rented bikes from our hotel and took our own tour.  
Photobucket
Photobucket
On the third day we rented bikes again.  We wanted to avoid tons of walking but still see every last nook and cranny of the historic area.  We went to the customs house museum and took pictures with the bronze sculptures.  They looked really lifelike and you could pose with them.  

I have a confession to make...

 I am addicted to taking pictures.  I took hundreds of photos and then I was forced to choose! Really, I'm sure you could have lived with a few less but I had a hard time narrowing them down.  I included just one of the pictures we took with the sculptures and now I'm not sure I chose the best one.  But I'll bet you wouldn't have known the photographer in the photo below is a sculpture if I hadn't put a caption.  They were that good.
Photobucket

Well to conclude, if you are a magazine editor and need a fun couple to travel the country/world and take pictures of their journey together... call me!  I could do this more often.

3 comments:

Sublime Studios said...

love the keys... that is where david and i met when we were 16! it is an amazing place to go to!

Janiece said...

My husband and I went to Key West for our honeymoon last year and I can't wait to go back! Next time you go you HAVE to go to Dry Tortugas, it's BEAUTIFUL and well worth the 2 1/2 hour boat ride. The snorkeling is phenomenal!

Life and Love Studio said...

I heard from a friend that dry tortugas wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be. I think it all depends on the water conditions. They could have gone on a rough day and it would have been a much different experience than you had. Maybe next time we'll do that. That will DEFINITELY be a next time :)